"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Echocardiogram for 3 please

Hey Ya'll
I thought I would update everyone on the boys.   First of all, being a mother to triplets has been a fantastic experience.  I have learned to multi-task tasks that I never dreamed of.  I can pump/nurse while giving one of the boys a binkie or rocking his bouncer, I can make myself a plate of lunch with a baby in my hand, everything is done in tandem.  The most difficult part about taking care of the boys for me is that you simply can't respond to everyones needs immediately.  You always feel guilty that one is crying as you feed another, so even when you are taking care of one, you feel you are neglecting another.

Yesterday the boys had their cardio appointments at Bethesda.  The boys each have small heart murmurs so they all needed EKG's and possibly echocardiograms.  The EKG's were done while I held each of them, they were wailing so we fed them each a bottle.  Unfortunately, they all had abnormal EKGs so they each needed to have echocardiograms.  When I was pregnant, I had an one of these...and it only took about 20 minutes.  With wiggly baby boys they take about 45 minutes each!!  So I held each boy while he squirmed and fought and eventually succumbed to sleep while the doc put the little gel probe over their little hearts.

Fortunately, things are pretty normal with the boys.  They all have small holes in their hearts but nothing to be overly concerned about yet.  Caleb and Gideon's hole are in the upper chamber and Ezra's is in the lower chamber.  Ezra's hole requires us to follow up at 1 year, the doc says it is normal and nothing to be alarmed about and hopefully the hole will close up by about 8 years of age.  Overall the visit took about 5 hours which was much longer than I thought.  Judging by the boys behavior they are pretty tired and so is mommy!

Besides the heart stuff, we also got each of them weighed.  I'm to the pont where I don't even remember their exact weights.  But Caleb is now the biggest and weighed about 9lb 8oz.  Ezra was close to that.  Gideon has fallen back a bit and only weighed about 8lb 8oz.  Unfortunately, he spits up so much of his "meal' due to reflux I worry he might not be getting as many calories as the other guys.  We are gonna talk to the doctor about changing his formula or maybe even trying soy milk based formula.

A

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Hi Autumn and Jeff ~

You seem to have ALL your hands full! I will be praying the boys hearts will heal on their own and not give them any trouble. I see that the reflux is still a problem.

Addi had to have something called "thickening" put in her formula so that she wouldn't aspirate what she kept bringing back up. She was on it for a long time and now is fine.


It sounds like you had a day that would take 2 days to recover from but how do you find the time? I am glad you have people who are willing to help and will pray that this will continue.

Hold those little ones close and give them lots of kisses ~~ they are just too cute!

Cheri

Jeanann said...

I will say a prayer about the heart issues. I had so much fun hearing about the boys at lunch. It was so nice to chat with another multiple mommy. Now, if I could just get over there to see them. :)

Jeanann